Senior Software Engineer – Backend
As a Senior Backend Engineer on the Homes team, you’ll work on a greenfield product within Hopper’s $1B+ travel ecosystem. You will build foundational features and services that will be core to the business going forward, while designing systems that will enable us to move quickly while ensuring a high standard of code quality and scalability. You’ll work alongside an experienced team of developers, designers, and travel industry experts to bring Hopper’s travelers the best price, selection, convenience, and booking flexibility in vacation home rentals.
- Love for building customer centric software
- 4+ years professional experience in full stack development
- Deep comfort with at least one server-side stack
- Excelled in an environment with cross-functional teams, working fluidly with Product Managers, Data Scientists, Software Developers, and other highly skilled specialists
- Ability to quickly iterate on Web interface UI/UX and related design
- Thorough understanding of Web system architecture and design, at scale
- Experience with, or willing to learn, distributed system development in Scala
- Proven track record of leading less-experienced engineers in building stable and scalable code
- Proven ability to build prototypes and take a data-driven approach to product development, testing and measuring new ideas very quickly
- The ability to bring leading industry techniques and technologies to the table
Our tech stack:
- We have a microservice architecture with over 200+ services.
- Mostly Scala on the backend with some Python.
- Our UIs are Mobile first: Swift on iOS and Kotlin on Android.
- We mostly host our services on Google Cloud with some on-prem.
- We use things like HBase, Kafka, Pub/Sub, GCP Big Query, Cloud SQL, S3, Delos, Redis.
- We are driven by data so Amplitude, Big Query and Datadog will be your buddies.
- Build amazing consumer experiences, taking responsibility for code quality, scalability, reliability and performance
- Help build the technical team for Hopper Homes, assist in interviews and onboarding of new team members
- Quickly prototype new ideas and run experiments to identify features that customers love
- Help shape the systems design for the homes vertical and how it integrates with our microservices architecture
- Collaborate with a diverse group of people, giving and receiving feedback for growth
- A passionate focus on quality, writing testable code that performs well for our consumers
- A desire to help our team continuously improve
- Well-funded and proven startup with large ambitions, competitive salary and stock options
- Unlimited PTO
- WeWork All Access Pass OR Work-from-home stipend
- Entrepreneurial culture where pushing limits and taking risks is everyday business
- Open communication with management and company leadership
- Small, dynamic teams = massive impact
- 100% employer paid medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance plans
- Access to a 401k
Despite the pandemic’s impact on the travel industry, Hopper has emerged stronger than ever. As the travel industry continues to rebound, Hopper has demonstrated significant outperformance with its category-leading mobile-only marketplace, delivering value to customers and supply partners with the company’s proprietary suite of fintech offerings.
This job offer was originally published on Jobicy