What you can expect in a Support Engineer role at GitLab:
As a Support Engineer, you will:
- resolve customer issues via email and video conferencing.
- support a mix of Self-managed and GitLab.com (SaaS) customers.
- collaborate with our Product and Development Teams to build new features and fix bugs.
- create and update documentation based on customer interactions.
- work hard to solve customer problems while delighting them along the way.
- participate in regular rotations for weekday and weekend on-call coverage (daytime only), providing emergency support to our Self-managed and SaaS customers, or working with our SaaS Production team to coordinate incident communications.
- work alongside Product Managers to define and shape the product goals, roadmap, priorities, and strategy based on your frontline knowledge of customer needs.
- continually research and learn the current and future best practices of using GitLab.
- participate in our hiring processes by reviewing applications and assessments, and by participating in interviews.
- suggest and implement improvements to Support workflows.
Avoid the confidence gap; you do not have to match all the listed requirements exactly to apply. You should apply if:
You’ve got the personality
- you’re a natural communicator and delight in using those skills to help others.
- you love exploring new technologies and figuring things out the hard way.
- you enjoy solving many small problems per day.
You’re a support professional
- you’ve got 2+ years of experience in a support or other service-oriented customer facing role.
- within the last 5 years, you’ve worked at one company for at least 2 years.
- you’re experienced in writing support content.
- you’re experienced in managing cases throughout the entire support lifecycle from initial customer inquiry to triage and reproduction, writing bug reports for hand off to the development team, and case resolution.
- you have experience being on-call and can jump into a complex situation and make sense of and communicate clearly to stakeholders what’s going on.
- you’re comfortable using support platforms such as ZenDesk and Salesforce.
You’ve got the technical acumen
- you understand DevOps methodologies and you appreciate the value technologies like Serverless and Kubernetes bring to the software deployment and development process.
- you’re able to communicate complex technical topics to customers and coworkers of varying technical skill level.
- you have excellent Ruby on Rails knowledge and are fluent on the Rails console, or you’re proficient in working with another MVC framework (Django, Laravel or others) and will be able to pick up Rails quickly.
- you’re experienced with Git and CI/CD.
- you have excellent Linux systems administration knowledge (LFCE or RHCE equivalent knowledge).
You’ll be able to thrive at GitLab
- you can demonstrate excellent spoken and written English.
- you have the ability to use GitLab.
- our values of collaboration, results, efficiency, diversity, iteration, and transparency resonate with you.
Candidates for this position can expect the hiring process to follow the order below. Please keep in mind that candidates can be declined from the position at any stage of the process. To learn more about someone who may be conducting the interview, find their job title on our team page.
- Technical assessment.
- 30-40-minute screening call with a Recruiter.
- 90-Minute Technical Interview with a member of the Support team. The Technical Interview will involve live break-fix/bug-fix scenarios as well as customer scenarios. You will need to have access to a terminal with Bash or similar. You will also need to have an SSH key pair loaded locally so you can connect to the server. Windows users must have ‘Git Bash for Windows’ installed prior to the call.
- 60-Minute Behavioral Panel Interview with a Support Engineering Manager & one other member of the team.
- 60-Minute Interview with a Senior Manager or Director of Support.
- Reference Checks.
- Successful candidates will subsequently be made an offer. Additional details about our process can be found on our hiring page.
To view the full job description and its compensation calculator, view our handbook. Candidates will have access to the compensation calculator after an initial screen conversation with a member of our recruiting team.
The base salary range for this role’s listed level is currently for residents of listed locations only. Grade level and salary ranges are determined through interviews and a review of education, experience, knowledge, skills, abilities of the applicant, equity with other team members, and alignment with market data. See more information on our benefits and equity. Sales roles are also eligible for incentive pay targeted at up to 100% of the offered base salary.
Colorado/Washington pay range
California/New York/New Jersey pay range