Retool designers make decisions that will affect millions of people, from the developers creating software to the employees who operate it every day. Instead of designing just one product, we’re effectively designing unique software products for thousands of companies across many different verticals.
This also presents a unique design challenge. Because it’s possible to build nearly anything in Retool, we don’t have absolute control over how our users experience the product. We’re constantly seeking just the right balance between convention and configuration, between technical expressiveness and conceptual simplicity.
Our website is critical to Retool’s success: it’s the first impression of Retool for millions of visitors, and a trusted companion for customers as they learn the product. As an Interactive Designer you will play a key role in creating a cohesive, beautiful experience that tells the story of the power, flexibility, and speed of Retool. Our goal is not to build another cookie-cutter enterprise SaaS website: we aspire to win the hearts and minds of developers—and set the bar for the industry in the process. You’ll design everything from our website, to the blog, documentation, community, mini-sites, and more. This position sits within our newly formed Brand Design team and will play an important part in designing the foundations of how the Retool brand is shaped.
IN THIS ROLE, YOU’LL:
- Partner with design, marketing, engineering and product to create an extraordinary web experience for retool.com—from launching new products to pioneering groundbreaking forms of web content
- Help explore and maintain a flexible design system for Retool’s experience
- Collaborate closely with engineers to create beautiful, rich interactive experiences that blur the line between learning about Retool and actually using it—from launching new products to pioneering groundbreaking forms of web content
- Act as a champion for the brand and how design is applied globally
- Design through iteration, experimentation and learned user behaviors
- Develop patterns and define how elements on our site behave across different web surfaces at scale
- Be an active participant in design at Retool, providing thoughtful feedback across design and product teams in critiques, reviews, and more
THE SKILLSET YOU’LL BRING:
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in visual design for web
- Experience and understanding of the formal elements of graphic design—not just limited to the web—including typography, color, layout, and composition
- Passion for the web as a medium, demonstrable through a portfolio of well-crafted work on interactive sites, design systems, data visualization, or similar
- Strong communication skills and the ability to collaborate effectively
- Strong grasp of interface-design skills—understanding of the impact of motion, viewport sizes, etc.
- A curiosity to stay educated on the latest web design technologies and techniques, tempered by a desire to establish an original, opinionated style—not follow trends
- A track record of successfully collaborating with design, marketing, and engineering partners to translate product needs, marketing insights, and technical constraints into informed design decisions
- An ability to balance many simultaneous projects, independently prioritize work based on project objectives and business goals, and thrive in a fast-paced, high-growth startup environment
- A proactive, self-starter work ethic with the ability to operate independently within a small team; Thoughtful, empathetic and creative.
OUR U.S. BENEFITS:
- Generous medical, dental and vision benefits
- 401(K) plan enrollment and matching up to an effective rate of 4%
- Paid company holidays and unlimited time off; take what you need!
- Annual continuing education stipend
- Paid parental leave and family planning support
- Wellness benefits including mental health, meditation support, OneMedical membership
This job offer was originally published on Jobicy